One of the most important decisions you will make during the moving process is which company to trust to help. Moving scams are abundant, and not every business is as reliable, professional and careful with your belongings as you might desire. Choosing the right movers can be the difference between a seamless, stress-free relocation and one fraught with problems (and damaged belongings).
Start the hunt for a moving company at least 2 months before your relocation. Doing so gives you time to compare several quotes from different companies, research each company’s reputation, get word-of-mouth references, and book your preferred company in time to get the best price for your relocation.
Because the company you choose will have such a big impact on your moving experience, there are many steps you should take to ensure you get professional and dedicated movers. Here are our top suggestions:
- Get word-of-mouth references from people you know and any special-interest groups you are a part of.
- Check each company’s Better Business Bureau rankings.
- Read each company’s Yelp and Good reviews.
- Choose a company with years of experience and a stellar reputation.
- Get at least 3 in-house estimates before you settle on a mover.
- For interstate moves, choose a licensed mover who has a U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) number.
- Request a certificate of insurance (COI) from your mover, especially if required by your landlord.