FacebookTwitterLinkInInstagramYelp

Atlas Transfer & Storage History

Our Timeline

  • 1925 – Atlas Transfer & Storage was founded.
  • 1944 – Kathleen and Tom Oakley became sole owners of the business.
  • 1948 – Atlas Transfer & Storage became an agent for Allied Van Lines.
  • 1953 – The Oakley family built their first warehouse on Hancock Street.
  • 1966 – The company presence on Hancock Street extended to two warehouses totaling 16,000 square feet.
  • 1980 – Tom Oakley, second generation owner, became President of Atlas Transfer & Storage.
  • 1985 – Headquarters office moved to 6750 Federal Blvd, a 40,000 square foot warehouse in Lemon Grove, California.
  • 1989 – Allied Van Lines awarded Atlas Transfer & Storage with Agent of the Year.
  • 1993 – Allied Van Lines awarded Atlas Transfer & Storage with “Super” Agent of the Year.
  • 1998 – Our new headquarters office opened its doors at 13026 Stowe Drive – a state of the art 100,000 square foot warehouse in Poway, California.

Fast forward a few years…

  • 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016 – Allied Van Lines Quality Agent of the Year (Customer for Life)
  • 2013 and 2016 – Allied Van Lines Agent of the Year
  • 2016 – Allied Van Lines Excellence over Time Apex Award for achieving the highest quality rating of "excellent" every quarter for twenty consecutive years (or eighty consecutive quarters) 

Our Story

antique-moving-truck-atlas-transferAtlas Transfer & Storage is a family-owned and operated moving and storage business with deep ties to the San Diego community. The company was founded in 1925 with the modest intent of moving pianos for families and local piano stores around town.

In 1944, Kathleen and Tom Oakley became sole owners of the business, and soon thereafter, secured a government contract to move household goods for members of the military into and out of San Diego. Atlas Transfer & Storage became an agent for Allied Van Lines in 1948.

allied-moving-history-atlas-transferBy 1966, their presence on Hancock Street extended to two warehouses totaling 16,000 square feet.

The first company headquarters was an unassuming building on India Street, chosen for its central location. As a result of hard work, repeat business and a city just beginning to expand, Atlas Transfer & Storage realized significant growth in a relatively short period of time.

antique-semi-atlas-transfer

In 1953, the Oakley family built their first warehouse on Hancock Street, constructed by a friend who was also a policeman. It totaled approximately 3,500 square feet and comprised of cement blocks.

The company continued to expand over the next twenty years and, in 1985, moved its headquarters to 6750 Federal Blvd, a 40,000 square foot warehouse in Lemon Grove, California.

atlas transfer moving semiBy 1996, Atlas Transfer & Storage had outgrown this relatively new location, and the Oakley family purchased land in Poway, California to build a modern, state of the art facility, now located at 13026 Stowe Drive. As one of the first businesses to open in the Poway business park, Atlas Transfer & Storage continues to operate out of this location today.

Since 1980, the company has been led by Tom Oakley, President and second generation owner with over forty years of industry experience. He has been instrumental in the company’s growth from a small local business to an established operator with a nationwide presence.

With a combined total of over 75 employees and drivers, the team at Atlas Transfer & Storage remains committed to providing the absolute highest quality of service to our customers, day after day, year after year.

REQUEST A FREE QUOTE

 
American Moving & Storage AssociationCalifornia Moving & Storage AssociationSan Diego Regional Chamber of CommerceNASMM - National Association of Senior Move ManagersMilitary Moving - Moving our nations's finest.Certified ProMoverAtlas Transfer & Storage Co/Allied Van Lines BBB Business Review
CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1.858.513.3800
PUC T# 61487 / U.S. DOT# 76235
Atlas Transfer & Storage Co.
©2017 Atlas Transfer & Storage Co. All Rights Reserved.
 
close (X)