The La Jolla Rec Center Celebrates 100 Years on July 25
Jul 22, 2015
One of La Jolla’s most beloved icons will be celebrating its 100-year anniversary on July 25th; the La Jolla Rec Center, commissioned by philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps and constructed by master architect Irving Gill (whose remarkable influence can be seen throughout the city), was completed in the summer of 1915 as a community hub when La Jolla was still in the early parts of its transformation.
In 1910, Gill was one of San Diego’s most prevalent architects and is now considered an early pioneer of the modern movement. Backed by philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps, Gill began working on several buildings throughout the Village that would later become community icons: the first building on the Scripps Institute of Oceanography campus, the La Jolla Women’s Club, The Bishop’s School, and of course, the La Jolla Rec Center.