A home office likely contains your important paperwork and legal papers. Set these items aside beforehand and plan to take them with you. Refer to Your Guide to a Successful Move for a helpful list of items that should not be transported in the moving van.
Personal Computer, Monitor, Printer or Scanner
- Disconnect and mark all wires and cables for easy reassembly.
- Detach paper holders/feeders from printers and wrap monitors and additional hardware as you would other home electronics.
- Remove toner and ink cartridges.
- Back up all of your computer files on file storage disks/devices.
- Consult your user manuals for additional instructions and precautions.
- Pack books of the same general size together, in small book cartons.
- Pack them either flat, or with the spine touching the bottom of the carton. (Do not pack with spine facing upward, as the glue can break away from the binder)
- Expensively bound volumes or those of sentimental value should be individually wrapped before packing.
Any modular office furniture will need to be dismantled prior to move day. (If you purchased a piece of furniture in a box, the manufacturer intended it to be disassembled for shipping.) Use tape to mark where pieces go together and keep the hardware together (including drawer pulls) in one spot, like a plastic bag or small box.