How to Move a Safe
Feb 06, 2020
When it comes to moving, there are many challenges. To make the moving process easier, it can help to identify some of the most difficult items to lift and move. One of these is your home safe, which can be particularly tricky to maneuver without a professional moving team, simply due to its bulk and weight. While a portable safe is made to be easy to lift and move, a full size safe is designed specifically to deter thieves partly through the difficulty associated with moving the safe. A gun safe, for example, can weigh between 500 and 800 pounds. A safe is therefore difficult to move by design. If you own a large safe that will be difficult to move, read on for tips on how to move a safe.
Prepare the Safe for Moving
The safest way to move a large, heavy safe, is to hire a professional moving team that is experienced with this kind of task. If you do choose to move the safe yourself, preparation is an important part of how to move a heavy safe.
- Before you begin, ensure you have a team of people to help you lift and move the safe. Ensure you have two or three additional people to help lift the safe, and another person to help guide you.
- Open the safe and remove your valuables. Store them in a portable safe for the move. This will get rid of any extra weight, and prevent your items from being damaged as you move the safe.
- Carefully close and lock the safe door. A heavy safe door that is allowed to swing open can cause injury or damage to property.
- Protect the safe by wrapping it in blankets, taped in place.
- Cover door frames and protect flooring that may be impacted by the safe as you move it.
Buy Moving Equipment
Weight is one of the major considerations when wondering how to move a floor safe. The best way to move your safe will be using a heavy-duty dolly. Therefore, the next step is to hire a dolly and gather any other equipment you will need. A full list of equipment to help move your safe will include:
- A heavy duty appliance dolly. Know the dimensions and weight of your safe before renting the dolly, so that you can be sure to receive an appropriate dolly.
- Straps, to secure your safe on to the dolly.
- Stretch wrap, tape and blankets, for wrapping the safe, as above.
Identify a Path
- Work out how best to move your safe out of your home – what is the shortest, safest and easiest route?
- Move any furniture in your path out of the way.
- Measure any difficult spots to ensure you won’t get stuck once the move has already begun.
- Ensure everyone helping you to move knows when you are about to start moving the safe, so they can stay clear of your path.
- Communicate clearly with others moving the safe with you, so that you can all see and agree upon the chosen route.
- Choose one person to walk ahead of you as you move, to ensure the path remains clear and guide those carrying the safe.
Find Moving Help
Don’t underestimate the weight of your safe, or the difficulty you may find in moving it. Once the safe is on the dolly, ensure it is carefully strapped to it. Moving your safe into the moving truck is another difficult task that must be approached with caution, but can be tackled using the dolly and loading ramp.
If you choose to move your safe without professional assistance, find friends and family members to help, do not attempt this project alone.
To greatly reduce the risk to you and your home, consider hiring a professional moving team to move your safe and any other heavy or difficult items. For a free moving quote or to plan your move today, contact Atlas Allied.